Oakleigh Should Get More 3D printers

by LIAM – Yr 5

I think Oakleigh State School should put a new 3D printer in the Year Six ClassRoom in 2017.

I think this will be useful for digital technology and physics such as gravity and could be useful for technology assessments.   It will also be useful for designing and instilling a sense of responsibility.

Sometimes gravity can destroy your print, as there is no scaffold included in the design. This takes time to work out which would be useful to teach students. It also takes patience and team work to make a print and can be extremely frustrating if it fails.  We have found that to make one of the bag tag prints for my group’s project,  it takes a good hour to finish well.   Sometimes it can fail miserably.

img_1592

It would be be fun to make stuff and the feeling that you get when you finish one well is fantastic.

You can make learning tools with the 3D printer like counters, blocks and these could teach maths ideas like counting and sums .  We just know that 3D printers are useful.

There are many things to be aware of:

• The plate gets hot and you can burn your self so you need to be aware of what you are doing.
  • You also need to take care of the 3D printer (cleaning) in order to get the best out of it.

So, there are many reasons  why I think Oakleigh State School should get a new 3D printer.

BY LIAM – YEAR 5

img_2261