Andy, Aman and Haemish travel to Sydney tomorrow to represent QLD in the National Final of the Young ICT Explorer Competition.
This is an impressive achievement for these young boys and very exciting for them as they (and their parents) fly to Sydney for the first time.
The work this group have done is impressive from many perspectives:
- It transcends traditional idea of curriculum being in separate silos.
- It has allowed the students to be persuasive in a real sense(which is a focus of our English curriculum at this year level).
- It has allowed them to access a global audience.
- It has allowed them to make an impact.
- It has allowed them to be collaborative but also to work alone.
- It as allowed them to show off their ability to work at a level which puts to shame scope and sequence type ICT expectations
- It has allowed them to be creative and to think ‘outside the box’ in terms of what kids of this age can do and achieve
It is also is a perfect example of how having a personal device can empower children and be a key driver in allowing children to communicate ideas. They have been able to promote their ideas about the World’s Big Problems – Sustainability, Homelessness and Global Warming. To do this they have ICT in a creative, reflective, meaningful and collaborative way. This is very powerful for anyone – let alone a group of 9 and 10 year old students……..
Here is a movie made as part of the project: